We operate a 24 hour emergency service
Woodbridge: 01394 380083 Felixstowe: 01394 284554 Rendlesham: 01394 420964 Ipswich: 01473 274040
We operate a 24 hour emergency service
Woodbridge: 01394 380083
Felixstowe: 01394 284554
Rendlesham: 01394 420964
Ipswich: 01473 274040

Spring has sprung!

Spring has officially sprung! As we enter spring it is wise to remain vigilant as there are lots of potential consumable hazards at home and in the wider environment.
Spring brings pretty flowers and longer dog walks as the weather improves. Spring bulbs can be very appealing to dogs but can cause a nasty tummy upset and in some instances where large quantities are consumed, they can be fatal. Sometimes intoxication of bulbs can result in a skin rash. Tulip, daffodil and hyacinth are all ones to keep an eye on.

Over winter, anti-freeze is a concern, for our cats especially. However, as we reach summer, lilies start to arrive and these are also very toxic to our feline friends. Even if they don’t chew the plant itself, brushing up against the plant can leave residues of pollen, which when the cat grooms will become ingested. Like anti-freeze, lilies damage cats’ kidneys so possible signs of intoxication are vomiting, excessive thirst and urination, depression and neurological signs (for example in-coordination or seizures).

As with any potential intoxication, it is imperative you ring the surgery for veterinary advice as soon as possible after the event. If you are worried about plants in general and which ones are toxic and need some advice, please also feel free to call us. We are always happy to help!